4.19.2009

Matchless

Back in February curiosity got the best of me and I opened up an account on one of those online dating sites…ooh, I hoped it wouldn’t be embarrassing to admit that, but I was wrong.

Anyway. I don’t know how serious I am about it because I haven’t even responded to anyone on there yet. I’m still not sure if I like it, it feels weird, a little insincere and like I’m on the prowl for a husband! But the caliber of guys I meet on a day to day basis prompted my curiosity, because it’s pretty extraordinarily sad. I just wondered, maybe someone special I would have never met is online. Or maybe he isn’t, but at least I could learn a little something about guys and/or myself through a new kind of experience. So far, much like my day to day life, I’ve only cringed and had a good laugh at the guys that have “winked” at or messaged me. Is that mean?

Seriously, though, I might have to gag myself if another 40-something winks at me and tells me I’m “cute”. Really, dude? “Cute” like your daughter? OK, so maybe 40 isn’t old enough to be my dad, but some of the guys are mid-40’s so they’re getting pretty close. I’ve learned I have a few pet-peeves, too. Like spelling and grammar, and the proper use of “your” vs. “you’re”. That one drives me crazy! :) Also, it’s deceiving when guys are wearing sunglasses or hats in their profile pictures – it might just be me, but when I’m driving it seems like there are a lot of hot guys driving around, but I think it’s because most of them are wearing sunglasses. It ups the hot factor for sure, but it can hide a lot. I also don’t think it’s ever a good idea to include the number 69 in your username, even if you were born in 1969, don’t do it!

Most of the guys online claim to be on it because they work a lot, or travel a lot, or are simply lonely. It’s kind of what I expected, but worth easing my curiosity I suppose. I think meeting guys the good old fashioned way is still the best way, it just takes patience. And I’ve got all the time in the world, I’m in no rush. I’m pretty excited about where I’m going, and I think it’ll happen that we’ll cross each other’s paths as we’re heading in the same direction, he’ll become my best friend as we calmly, slowly, and patiently build on something solid. But make no mistake there will be lots of passion, and fun! You know, I think I’m a romantic; I never used to think I was but I totally am!

So I guess I’ll check “online dating” off my list of things to try, next up something cooler and much less embarrassing...

1 comment:

Jaren Rabe said...

Hahaha..thanks for sharing your experience. I agree with everything you said, especially keeping the number 69 out of your username...for anyone. So tacky.